Friday, April 24, 2009

Why I think the VIkes will go LB in Round 1

Okay, so after looking at all the draft stuff I can stand, I think the Vikes are going to go with a LB, I really do. Let me walk this logic backwards:

Percy Harvin is probably off the board, and Childress said before the draft last season, I think it was, that WR’s in general are really a crap shoot in the first round, and I agree, so I don’t see them going in that direction. RB is not a need, and I think the TOA doesn’t believe QB is. I must grudgingly give it up for Shiancoe, as he really emerged last season, so TE is off the board, eliminating all skill positions.

That leaves the o-line. Sullivan looks to be the next Matt Birk, and Herrera and Hutch are a pretty good guard tandem. McKinnie is locked in at LT, and I think with Ryan Cook you have what I call Tarvaris Jackson syndrome. Cook was a high round Childress pick, like Jackson, and Childress has a lot in terms of reputation on the line to see the kid succeed, much like Jackson, albeit not as much as he has invested with TJ. Many detractors think he was taken too high, like Jackson, and as a player, Cook has yet to achieve what the coaches envisioned him doing when drafted, much like Jackson. He’s also shown flashes of good play with maddening periods of mediocrity and inconsistency, also like Jackson. And I think Cook showed enough last year to warrant giving him ample opportunity to remain the RT, but he has got to cut down on his penalties.

On the d-line, DE appears to be set, especially with Kenechi Udeze coming back, which will be a huge emotional lift. DT looks good as well. After re-signing Jimmy Kennedy and Fred Evans, there’s really no room for a new guy. You can make an argument for DB, especially with Antoine Winfield getting up there, but they re-signed Benny Sapp, signed Carl Paymah as a FA, and already had decent depth for both CB and S. I can see adding a guy in the later rounds, but I don’t see DB as a first round pick, especially when you factor in who’s probably available.

That leaves LB. EJ’s coming off of an injury, Ben Leber is good, but is north of 30, and after Chad Greenway, there really isn’t anyone that can jump in and start. Erin Henderson? No. Heath Farwell? Good special teams guy, but not really. I mean, they had to bring Napoleon Harris back after EJ got hurt. Nap did a great job as a stopgap, but they let him go again. So LB is very thin after you get past the starters. Almost every mock draft I see has either James Laurinaitis, Ray Maualuga, or both available at that spot. Both are high character guys, both have great college pedigrees, and yeah, you think I want them to pick Laurinaitis because he’s a Buckeye, but he can also play on the outside, and he’s a local Minnesota kid. Childress hit the jackpot with the ‘local kid, Big 10 LB, high character guy’ trifecta with Greenway in 2006, and that has to be factored in as well.

So with everyone screaming for the Vikes to take a tackle, I think the Vikes mildly surprise some folks and go with either Maualuga or Laurinaitis. If they’re both on the board, it’s Laurinaitis.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome insight, I like where you're going with this. Picking up a hometown kid is always a good thing. Great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve thought about our linebackers and I agree that is a need. If your boy Laurinaitis is there, that very well might be the best pick. I explained in my new blog that really the only backups are Erin and Heath. I would feel better with a
    bigger/better version that could also help on coverage units. Laurinaitis fits that bill
    from the hype I’m hearing about him.

    We think alike about Ryan Cook and Childress’ own syndrome. I just don’t like the talk
    of getting a vet to train a rookie like Jon Runyan and Mark Tauscher when we passed up
    Kevin Shaffer. Shaffer made the Pro Bowl whereas Tauscher has just as bad numbers as
    Cook. Sports writers [and bloggers] can be idiots.

    I disagree with you on the need for a back or a defensive tackle. The tackle could be
    put off in hopes Kennedy develops, but 3 backs is not enough to go into camp even though that may be all that makes the roster, plus Chester’s contract will be up after this
    season if I remember correctly.

    Chidress is in "save my job" mode now, so I expect the first pick is leaning towards a play-maker type and a backup linebacker doesn't fall into that category. I like your thinking though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spec7--Thanks, much appreciated. We'll see what happens tomorrow!

    Luft--Your last comment is the one that probably invalidates my whole post--thanks buddy!! Makes sense if they go with a playmaker-type guy, because you're right on about Chilly being in the win now mode, and a LB that can be a starter in two years doesn't fit that profile, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see them taking a linebacker (especially after Vikings officials showed up for the USC Pro Day to "check out Mark Sanchez"), but I think Peria Jerry at DT is more likely if he's available and we don't go OT or WR. After that it seems like a toss-up between LB or CB for the biggest need and there certainly seems to be talent lining up where we draft at those positions.

    ReplyDelete