Tuesday, December 30, 2008

So, it begins

Well, first of all, hi. Thanks for coming to my little part of the Internets. Let's get right to it.

Everybody can just shut the hell up about Brad Childress. I'm not a fan of the run left, run left, screen pass, punt offense, either, but he has opened it up this year, and the Vikings are 10-6. And division champions. And hosting a first round playoff game.

For those of you that don't like Tarvaris Jackson, you are also cordially invited to close your grocery hole. He's come from behind twice to win the Vikings absolutely needed to win late in the season, played well in the Atlanta loss, and dominated, on the road, against a division winning playoff team. I mean really, what more do you want?

As this team enters "the tournament" as everyone likes to call it now, I like their chances. They do two things fundamentally well that is essential come playoff time--they run the ball well, and they stop the run exceedingly well...as long as Pat Williams returns, which as of this posting, looks probable. When breaking them down against Philadelphia, the only significant advantage the Eagles have is at the quarterback position. Although that is the most important position on the field, the Vikings have a couple of things going for them they will help neutralize that advantage. Most importantly, they are at home, and as long as Adrian Peterson can hold on to the ball, they will be able to run, taking pressure off of Jackson. The Vikings have been much better this season at blitz pick up, and if the Vikings can give Jackson an extra second, or if Jackson can step up and buy himself some more time, there should be yardage available in huge chunks. If they can control the clock and the tempo with their ground game, Jackson will be a lot more comfortable. When he's at a good comfort level, he doesn't press, and he doesn't make mistakes. If he doesn't make mistakes, the Vikings win.

I'll be back tomorrow with a position by position comparison, with a prediction on the game's outcome. Later on in the week, I'll look at how the Buckeyes will win the Fiesta Bowl (you, in the back of the room, quit your snickering or you'll go to the principal's office), and review the Big 10 bowl season.

I also want your input. If there's something you want me to write about, let me know. Something you think I shouldn't be wasting my time on, let me know that. But keep in mind, I have final say. I mean, it is my blog, for Christ's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment